Thursday 6 January 2011

Foam Hair Dyes - A Comparison

In the past couple of months I've used both the John Frieda and Nice 'n Easy versions of foam hair dye, and I thought I'd do a comparison for you


Nice 'n Easy £6.99
John Frieda £9.99


First Impressions
John Frieda's definitely looks like it costs more (and it does) and I might've got a bit too excited over the fact that it provides you with black gloves. To be honest, Nice 'n Easy's looks just like any other hairdye.
Mixing

 John Frieda's seemed to magically turn into a foam, whereas Nice and Easy's (sorry cannot be bothered to abbrieviate the 'and' in their name anymore) went foamy but also really runny and quite wet.

Application
 I only managed to get a  picture of the John Frieda foam (was stressing too much when trying to get Nice and Easy's more foamy!) but as you can see it looks like liquid and comes out like foam!

JF applies more like a shampoo, whereas the NE one applied just like a regular hair dye. Both were fine, but if you're going for the novelty factor then JF wins hands down in this respect.

Both had nice smells, however Nice and Easy's was very sweet, like sweets and it did have the tinge of ammonia smell that made my eyes water. I also think Nice and Easy's was a bit messier, probably because it was more liquidy than JFs.

John Frieda One Month On 
ie the night I used Nice and Easy's
I dyed it a 'dark chocolate brown', and it faded quite a bit, ignoring the roots! Despite it's promises to remove orange/red tones (put your hands up if you get those too!) you can see that they're still present.

This is the final result of Nice and Easy's, taken this morning
Not an orange hair in sight!

Which would I recommend?

If you want to treat yourself. . John Frieda
If you're not too fussed about the foam aspect. . Nice 'n Easy
If you'd prefer a (rather generous and lovely smelling) tube of deep condtioner. . John Frieda

If you have any more questions just ask

Love Sophie xx   

6 comments:

  1. Argh this reminds me I need to dye me hair :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I really want to try the John Frieda one so badly; all these good reviews are making me crave it more xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice 'N Easy is my favorite hair dye, and the foam version looks interestng!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister seems to have the same problem with the orange, it's weird :P it looks great on you :) anyway I've given you a blog award here :) http://ohlalamaquillage.blogspot.com/2011/01/versatile-blogger-award.html xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. I used both last month and when i used the JF one it came out as foam so effortlessly yet the nice n easy one came out less foamy!
    but the nice n easy one actually did change my hair colour haha

    www.xstrawberrybeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The jf is really foamy iv been usin it for ages now I love it its great an so foamy well worth the money

    ReplyDelete